[rescue] Itanium 2

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Thu Jun 6 02:39:41 CDT 2002

Dave McGuire wrote:

> > I don't hear of too many people using Itaniums.  I know that jahshaka
> > team has one, but they don't seem to be turning out much.
>
>   Yeah.  I don't know *anyone* who has one or is considering obtaining
> one.  I only know of one person (our own James Sharp) who has ever
> even used one.
>
>   With the unbelievable performance figures being quoted for the later
> PPC G4s, UltraSPARC-IIIs, and IBM's very beefy POWER4 family, they're
> going to have to be pretty amazing to keep up.

I hope that blow would make some sense inside the suits' head, to keep
the Alpha-line.

I'm in tru64-managers list and a couple of days ago there was an open
question from ComHPaq how "you, the end-user, feel about the future
plans on the Enterprise UNIX". Heh, I fired everything I got in my head
right at that marketing-droid, and I tell you, it wasn't nice words. :-)
I even got a reply from him, where he thanked me for my opinion, and
ofcourse a "sorry-cry" for my statement that we would change to IBM or
SUN when our Alphas ends its lifecycle.

--
Vnliga hlsningar/Best Regards
Bjrn Ramqvist, Hgglunds Vehicle AB