[rescue] The joys of 4.1.2

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at bfr.co.il
Wed Jun 5 04:29:34 CDT 2002

Andrew Michael Eberbach wrote:

> Hi all,
> I recently upgraded my computing experience from a 1.1 GHz 512 meg o ram
> laptop to an amazing Sparc IPC with 24 Meg o ram. This sucker kicks ass.
> But more to the point, it's running SunOS4.1.2 and for some strange reason
> I'd like to leech the computing power from my school and just export
> DISPLAY my way into running netscape 4.76  (instead of 3.0). Now, am I
> being foolish in thinking that new X11 apps could run under OpenWi 2 (or
> 3)?

If memory serves you could upgrade it to solaris 2.6 which would give you
a reasonably compatible X. I would upgrade it to 32 meg if you can. AFIK the
IPX uses the 4x9 SIMs that were used in 486 PCs and may be hard to find.
However if you are just running X, without a lot of other things (such as
CDE) you can do okay with 2.6 and 24meg.

If you plan to use the serial ports you MUST upgrade to 4.1.4. (4.1.3 will
do if you can find the "massive serial patch".

Someone did a nice job of creating a SUNOS system with a reasonable X that
could be netbooted. If you can find that, you could use the X from it. I
used to have some ELC's and I used it to boot them and run them as X
stations. I don't remember the name, it's been a few years. :-(

If you have about 300 meg of free disk space and a week with nothing to do,
you could download the X11R3 source and GCC and build your own X. X11R4
might work, I've never compiled it on SUNOS. Has anyone here?

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson
Bloomberg L.P., BFM (Israel) 2 hours ahead of London, 7 hours ahead of New York.