[rescue] worth it for the disks?

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Wed Jul 31 15:06:37 CDT 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:00:54 -0700
"Fogg, James" <JFogg at vicinity.com> wrote:

> The biggest problem we had was moving paper that fast, and we owned
> the patents to do it (perforated belt conveyors over vacuum tables).
> How do they move that much paper that fast? We were never able to get
> much faster.
>
> That job was also my first and only patent (or I should say the
> company patented an idea I had on the job). A lossless method of
> de-skewing images in RAM.

I have seen offset duplicators whamming out copy at >100ppm, and that is
fast.  That is also a cakewalk compared to scanning, which requires all
the paper handling skills, along with cameras and a backend big enough
to get the data out of the way.  And if the printer chokes you lose a
bunch of blank paper, if that scanner chokes you better have another
copy, because it just became a shredder.  The only possible target for a
gadget like that is government.  Even a big company can't generate
enough paper to justify an archival system like that.

Of course right now all the big companies are making sure all their
archives are properly shredded.

Tim