[rescue] Question: VME SBC on EBay

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Jul 31 13:59:41 CDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 02:25:39PM -0400, Tim H. wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:15:03 -0400
> Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
>
> >   You're a very strange guy, Josh.  Very strange indeed.
> >
> >        -Dave
>
> I was thinking that myself.  I bet he couldn't recreate the thought
> pattern that got him from the simple word play to a full blown sci-fi
> scene, mostly likely rendered in full 3D in his head too.  (With an
> obscene amount of textures, and probably some slick random fluid filters
> for the nutrient bath.)

Well, I'll take a stab at it.  My first thought was, why in the world
would a programmer be in sand?  It can't be comfterble, and really the
salt in the sand is just going leach the moister from his skin (and if
he is embeded, he probably has some rather sensitive skin exposed to
the sand).  Why not make it something usefull.  Like a nurtrient bath,
which is presumed (probably unrealisticly) to be something where your
body absorbs what it needs without you having to each, and also to
have some sort of waste disposal capabilities.  So, now we have a
programmer who can work at his terminal virtually forever, never
needing to stop to eat or go to the bathroom.  But is this really more
preductive?  No.  We need tools to make him interface with the machine
in a faster manner.  Virtually infinite screen realestate piped in
directly to the optical nerve would be one such possible improvement
(this assumes that the interfaces gain high resolution which they
currently lack according to the friend who is really into such
things).  And then, what better than a keyboard and pointing device
that allows much faster data entry then every before possible.  You
can hit the next key without waiting for your finger to actually
depress and release the first one.

So, there you go.  This was one of the simpler thought patterns.
Every now and then my fiance asks me to explain how I got from point A
to point B, and almost always it is much longer and more convoluted
than this.

--
Joshua D. Boyd