[rescue] UPS rescue, now what?

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Wed Jul 31 13:38:24 CDT 2002

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Koyote wrote:
> the input and output of these units is 220/240/250. No sweat, most any
> PS takes 240- the output is not a problem

You might have to configure the UPSs to run lower voltages as a result --
like 230 or 220 V. If this is possible. It's still not a good idea to use
standard plugs and outlets, lest someone plug a hair-dryer into the wrong
outlet ("Gee, this thing works *reaaaaally* well..")

> I simply have to use a step up transformer to power these puppies
> (okay,t o power *one*, at least for now) and I need to figure out the
> plan. I mean, I'm not going to try and use a 250watt transformer,
> here. But I'm a bit lost on whether I need a 1kw or a 2kw or what?
> the thing I can say for sure is that I have some 10A fuses onboard,
> and the *outlet* for the power in is rated 16A at 250V (not the
> *unit*, the outlet)

> and damn, i wish I owned my own shack. of course, then I'd run DC.

You can do like Les did and buy `cheap' 48V powered gear and use the same
type power systems as The Big Telcos.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR  <kris at nospam.catonic.net>  TGIFreeBSD IM: 'KrisBSD'
                    "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!"