[rescue] UPS rescue, now what?

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Wed Jul 31 12:05:17 CDT 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:42:32 -0400 (EDT)
woods at weird.com (Greg A. Woods) wrote:

> Please read what I wrote:  "special wiring and plugs"

hmm, I guess special means the next bin over at home depot.  wow, $1.29
each instead 0f $.49, yep, that's special.  IIRC 12ga. wire does 30
amps, and 12ga wire is the standard around me, by law, so that kinda
ruins the special designation also.  I might need 10ga, but even that is
available in little 50 foot do it youself packs, so special is a pretty
big stretch there.  If by special you really mean proper and suitable to
the task, well then every electrical job I do is special.  The code for
a 15 amp circuit is just as specific as for a 30, 50, or 150 amp
circuit, so special doesn't apply there either.

Let's see, what normal things would I run a 30 amp breaker to?  A large
window air conditioner, the outside outlet to run an electric lawnmower,
every outlet in a garage/workshop, my little 110V wire welder, yep,
those are all special.

Somehow I don't find stuff needed to run stuff that is readily available
at walmart as special, dangerous, or in need of special care, and I have
never seen a homeowners policy that requires a special electrical
inspection, and for most of us on the list, anything that we might need
220V for is not very likely to have a warranty to void.  Of course I
never checked the warranty status on my SS690MP.

I think you just want to set yourself apart from "normal" people and
feel that belonging to a li st that has members who need special wiring
and plugs makes you feel more special yourself.

There, now I feel better, that's been building a while, so it is most
likely a heinous overreaction, and if so, I apologize in the specific,
but stand by my opinion in the general

Tim