[rescue] another U10 Q

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Jul 31 11:50:35 CDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 11:44:39AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 09:40:22AM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > The average Mac SCSI card is what I meant.  Like the Adaptec 2940AU,
> > or any of the numerous other mac compatible scsi cards.  It seems to
> > me that if a Mac boot process can use the card, then shouldn't the
> > card work in a Sun?  Afterall, both use OpenFirmware.
>
> Any endian issues?

I wouldn't expect there to be any.  Especially since OF is supposed to
take care of any such issues that would pop up (and in my recall, Suns
and Macs use the same endianess anyway).  And, from the sounds of
someone else who tried to swap a mac scsi card into a sun, and a sun
one to a mac, the sun was able to read and start executing OF from the
mac card, but ran into trouble before the forth on the mac card relied
on words that didn't exist in the sun (but with plain english names.
I'd expect endian issues to garble any names).  Unfortunately, the mac
wasn't as forth coming about the exact failure according to him.

--
Joshua D. Boyd