[rescue] UPS rescue, now what?

Kevin Loch kloch at gurunet.net
Wed Jul 31 10:50:15 CDT 2002

George Adkins wrote:
>>You cannot "legally" have a 120vac circut rated at more than 15A without
>>special wiring and plugs <snip>
>

> Where the hell did this come from?  If this is the case, then why on earth
> would manufacturers make single-phase 115VAC breakers rated for 30Amps?

I guess it depends on how you define "special wiring and plugs".
There are a variety of high-current outlets.  It would be real
stupid to put a 15A outlet on a higher current breaker.  Just make
sure the outlet rating matches the breaker rating (and use appropriate
wire). For computer use, 20A outlets are quite common.  I just
put a dual 20A box in the basement "computer room", using both
phases. That way I could get (up to 20A) 240V with a simple adaptor
without additional wiring.  If I were going to use 240V regularly,
or I needed more current, I'd run an appropriate outlet for
that purpose.

KL