[rescue] another U10 Q

Marc Zyngier mzyngier at freesurf.fr
Wed Jul 31 08:49:57 CDT 2002

Joshua> The average Mac SCSI card is what I meant.  Like the Adaptec
Joshua> 2940AU, or any of the numerous other mac compatible scsi
Joshua> cards.  It seems to me that if a Mac boot process can use the
Joshua> card, then shouldn't the card work in a Sun?  Afterall, both
Joshua> use OpenFirmware.

I happend to have a Mac SCSI card with the famous 53c875 (this a
Formac card), and integrated OpenFirmware support.

Plugged it in my U5. The Sun OF was unable to use it, probe-scsi-all
was just sitting there, let alone booting from it. It was screaming
about unknown forth words (mac things like newworld/oldworld).

The board finally ended in my AS500/333 (which falled in love with it
;-), and I plugged my Tekram back into the U5, end of story.

I also tried the opposite : Adaptec 2940-OF (yeah, the infamous Sun
version) in a PowerMac 7500. Black screen, would not boot.

So, yes, they both use OF. It simply seems there is many kind of OF.

        M.
--
Places change, faces change. Life is so very strange.