[rescue] UPS rescue, now what?

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Tue Jul 30 23:42:37 CDT 2002

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:24:35 -0700
Koyote <koyote at koyote.cx> wrote:

> I simply have to use a step up transformer to power these puppies
> (okay,t o power *one*, at least for now) and I need to figure out the
> plan. I mean, I'm not going to try and use a 250watt transformer,
> here. But I'm a bit lost on whether I need a 1kw or a 2kw or what?
> the thing I can say for sure is that I have some 10A fuses onboard,
> and the *outlet* for the power in is rated 16A at 250V (not the
> *unit*, the outlet)

Of course 16A is the absolute maximum, but that is what you would want
to plan for anyway.  Transformers are oftem rated in VoltAmps, just as
easy as it sounds, 16x250=4000 VA.  That's a good sized transformer.
Current wise it is also simple math, if you want 16 Amps out the high
side you will have to put in a little better than 32 amps at 117 Volts,
otherwise known as it's own breaker in the panel.  Are you in any
situation to do a little wiring?  It would be significantly cheaper to
run a 220V line in most cases.

Tim