[rescue] Sun 2/50 status update (it works :-)

Walter Belgers walter+rescue at belgers.com
Sun Jul 28 10:40:33 CDT 2002

Hi all,

Here's a short status update on my Sun 2/50 and Sun 2/170.

The 2/170 still doesn't produce intelligeable output on either SIO or
monitor, so I've concentrated on the 2/50.

The 2/50 is now booting SunOS 4.0.3! I used a NetBSD 1.5.1 system to run
Matt Fredette's ndbootd (network disk boot daemon), which is needed to
get the Sun2 going. After rarp/bootparam/nfs/... it now correctly boots
SunOS 4.0.3. (Funny thing: the Sun gets the netmask from an ICMP netmask
query to the server.)

Most work went into finding out what files to put where in the NFS tree.
They were all taken from the images of the boot tapes. I created all
/dev entries by hand, using the major/minor numbers I found on my Sparc1
running SunOS 4.1.4.

I couldn't get the system to not run NIS, so I just commented out all yp
stuff in rc.boot.

Even SunView works, but the mouse I have doesn't work. The LEDs stay off
(it's a 370-1091). It's not the mouse cable. Anyway, I'm still very
pleased that finally the system is booting all right.

Cheers,
Walter.
--
Walter Belgers         "Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus
walter at belgers.com       Latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!"