[rescue] Wow, 30k Graphics Card From Sun

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Sat Jul 27 11:38:17 CDT 2002

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 21:42:50 -0500
"Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:

> However, when they changed their logo and "image", everything went to
> shit.  They stopped shipping genuine rebadged MS mice, and shipped
> cheap weightless crap (hollow fucking mice balls--evil); the keyboard
> also lost ab
<snip >

It was in '94, that was the year they made #1 in computer sales, and it
was at the height of the peecee rush, when margins were dropping like
stones.  From the viewpoint of those of us that were selling them it
appeared that they fired all the QC people, and replaced them with
high-school temps.  It was worse than just changing to cheap components,
because all the sudden they started shipping machines that had obviously
never been booted a the factory.

For over a year they shipped a CD bundle that included a game which
would not even run on the machines.  When customers came to buy PCs I
actually tried not to sell them PBs, and after the return numbers
started filtering back through the corporate numbers my bosses actually
quit yelling at me for it.  By '96 they had actually started to improve,
I think they would have made it up to a quality to compete with the
presario crap from Compaq, except they had killed their rep. and nobody
would buy them.  Shortly after that they acquired NEC, then went belly
up.

I have heard that someone has brought the name back to life, I can't
imagine why, it would seem to me it would have a very nasty negative
marketing value.

Tim