[rescue] All this talk of X Terminals has me wondering...

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Sat Jul 27 16:49:36 CDT 2002

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> dave at cca.org wrote:
>
> > The SS5 SCSI is on the motherboard. Making a different version
> > of the motherboard seems odd.
>
> Not that I've seen ALL or even MOST, but AFIK, the ROMS checked a bit in
> the battery backed up ram. Set one way it was an SS5, set the other it was
> an X-terminal and SCSI did not work.

This is only the case with the SparcClassic X.  The Sparc Xterminal 1
used a different board than every other Sun system.

It can more properly be thought of as an emasculated SS4.  It's slower
(50MHz microSparc), has fewer SIMM slots (4 vs. 5) but has the same TCX
framebuffer with VSIMM slot, one Sbus slot and the same audio connector
(which is the same as on the E450, surprise surprise).  It uses the same
MACIO/SLAVIO as the SS4/SS5.

With a bit of work, you can use them as regular systems.  You're stuck
with either netbooting or putting a SCSI card into the Sbus slot, though.

-James