Drive speed [was: Re: [rescue] What sucks.]

jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sat Jul 27 06:58:43 CDT 2002

On 25 Jul, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I had fun dissasembling an 8" rackmount (IPI?) hard drive I got with
> a VAXstation II back in '97.
Three years ago, at one of our first VAX geek meetings, we deracked a
MicroVAX II. We had _lots_ of fun taking that old and broken RA81 apart.
The RA81 is a SDI disk with 14" platters and weights 65kg. It consists
of a 19" rack box with the electronics and the motor. The actual HDA is
mounted in that on three bolts. Yes. The motor is not atteched to the
HDA. It is separate and a belt is used to drive the spindle. We had the
idea to make a weight lifting contest with the HDA, but we decided that
beer bottles are better for that purpose... ;-)
--

tschuess,
          Jochen

Homepage: http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz