Drive speed [was: Re: [rescue] What sucks.]

s at avoidant.org s at avoidant.org
Fri Jul 26 00:28:17 CDT 2002

James Lockwood wrote:

> Funny.  Every 3GB and up 5.25" SCSI drive I've had has been wide.  I
> suppose there are narrow versions floating around, but I've managed to
> avoid them.

Yep. I've got 12 narrow (50-pin) Seagate Elite-9s in a Sun Mass Storage
cabinet. Got them supercheap, too. I think it was around $200 for all
12.

> Come to think of it, I wish I'd kept one of those.  6 Elite-47's in 4U
> would make for nearly 300GB of space.

Ooooh, that would be just way too sweet. Teh Mass Storage cabinet is
narrow, though, so I wouldn't have anyplace to put them without
modifying it.

 Hmmm, I happen to have a spare UW RAID controller sitting here. That's
make a really nice array.

Ah well, I can dream (no money to spend)

---sambo