[rescue] Hippi switch

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jul 25 14:26:02 CDT 2002

On July 25, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
> >Dave M. was expressing interest, and may be intending to snipe you.
>
> When I checked (after it was posted to the list) Dave's bid was at $1. I
> figured I would bid $20. I was surprised to find that he had only bid
> $1.25. I really don't care if I win. I was just doing it as a joke.
>
> I kind of expected it to go for multiple hundreds (but what do I know).
> If I win, Dave is welcome to buy it off my for whatever I win it for.

  I appreciate the offer, but it's now above my [nearly nonexistant]
budget.  Sometimes stuff like this does go that cheap because most of
the people looking at it ask "how can ah kunnekt that ta ma peecee?".

  This was a "speculative bid" (for lack of a better term) on my part; I
don't really need it but wouldn't mind having it if it's super-cheap
(like $1+shipping); it may be better than the one I have (like,
connectors on the rear instead of front) then I could sell the one I
have...Lots of deep-pockets people buy stuff on eBay for resale who
don't actually know what they're buying, and will only bid if there's
lots of "interest" (i.e. other bids) in the item.  If only one person
is bidding on something these guys will likely stay away from it,
assuming it's not worth anything.

        -Dave