[rescue] Appropriate OS for Alpha?

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Wed Jul 24 12:42:54 CDT 2002

> Agreed.  Last I checked both Tru64 & OpenVMS support the Oxygen VX1 card
> now, making it a good bet for an Alpha box running one of those OSes.  Not
> sure about Linux/*BSD support for that card.

What I don't like is the Oxygen VX1 will work just fine on an EV56
system under Tru64 but will only work on an EV6 system under OpenVMS.
This wouldn't be so bad except the drivers share quite a bit of source.

> The Permedia 2-based cards have always seemed to be dogs, from my experience
> in the CAD world.  The Oxygen VX1 is a very competent mid-range 3D buffer.
> We've spec'd it in Win2k CAD workstations for a while at several customers,
> although the Nvidia Quadro2 cards are probably a better value at this point
> (not that they're alpha supported).

I have a VX1 that I'm just waiting to drop into a cheap DS10.
Until then, I'll keep using my 4D20.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net