[rescue] Re: Powerstack

roosmcd at dds.nl roosmcd at dds.nl
Wed Jul 24 12:00:07 CDT 2002

> Well, the thing is, I *have* the powerstack. Someone somewhere has to have
> the OS :)

 Time to step in and save the day :). I have the OS, or rather sort of have...
What I've got here is a set of 3 cd's with AIX 4.1.? on them and other stuff
that turns your average do-no-good powerstack into a fullblown RIP (yes, I have
a RIP card, but no printer). What model do you have? I've got a MT604-100, but
it would probably also work on other models.

> I may end up just putting linux on it, but it's a shame to do that.

 Indeed :). Although I thought there was something preventing Linux running on
this machine? You should also be able to run a version of MACos on this machine
(wasn't there a version that didn't need the Apple ROMs?). Never tried it
though.

> I'd like a real AIX box eventually, but I need to finish clearing out some
> stuff first. ther'es just no room for a proper deskside. The powerstack will
> fit on the server shelf fine, though.

 The powerstack is a very nice machine; it eats standard (EDO) 72-pin memory,
which is a big plus over some of the IBM RS/6000 machines I've seen. I also
happen to have a manual for the powerstack, so if you've got any questions just
ask.

  greetings,
   Michiel