[rescue] misc old Sun resources

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 23 20:34:54 CDT 2002

--- "Tim H." <lists at pellucidar.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 18:54:43 -0700 (PDT)
> Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Uhm, there are several cable/DSL routers that provide dial-up
> > fail-over- that would allow you to attach an external 56K modem to
> the
> > router, then connect to the router over 10 Mb/s Ethernet...

<snip>

> I just thought it would be nice to use a lunchbox, preferably an IPC
> just because it is the oldest/slowest/most "useless" and I always
> enjoy using a perfectly good piece of hardware that has been labeled
> useless just because no one makes them anymore.

Well, the IPC/lunchbox computer can still be your *real* firewall, the
Cable/DSL router could pass everything to it - my goal was to come up
with a low-cost way to add a 56K serial modem to the box with
speed-limited  serial ports.

The D-Link router (but one example of the devices I mention) are
commonly available for $20-30 - how much do high-speed SBUS serial
cards go for?

Lionel

=====
Lionel
-------
"I sense a disturbance in my pants!" - Jimmy Neutron