[rescue] misc old Sun resources

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Sun Jul 21 22:46:23 CDT 2002

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 18:54:43 -0700 (PDT)
Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Uhm, there are several cable/DSL routers that provide dial-up
> fail-over- that would allow you to attach an external 56K modem to the
> router, then connect to the router over 10 Mb/s Ethernet...

The whole point of using a computer (currently linux86) is to allow me
to actually control the firewall and port forwarding etc., As well as
logging.  If all I was after was dial up I could use my airport base
station, that actually was fairly groundbreaking in it's
feature/price/target audience, and actually works pretty well.  But from
what I have seen none of the consumer gateways will let me duplicate
what I have now, let alone what I want to have. (Including spoken alarms
for status changes :-))

I just thought it would be nice to use a lunchbox, preferably an IPC
just because it is the oldest/slowest/most "useless" and I always enjoy
using a perfectly good piece of hardware that has been labeled useless
just because no one makes them anymore.

Tim