[rescue] Workers of the World, Unite!

Big Endian biggie at 3geeks.org
Mon Jul 22 12:25:40 CDT 2002

>On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 11:48:48AM -0500, Scott Newell wrote:
>
>>  >ohms.  My recall is that 10ohm speakers on a 4 ohm amp puts to much
>>  >load on the amp, and that if you aren't going to match the amp to the
>>
>>  Other way.
>
>Hmm, I'll have to double check what I did to my sister's stereo then.
>I have a bad feeling I might have put 4 ohm speakers on a 6 ohm amp.

Thats bad.  More ohms means it draws less power.  Impedance
mismatches are bad in signal evironments because a fraction of the
signal will bounce back off the mismatch.  I forget the exact math on
this one.  Dave?

>  > >speaker, then at least the speaker should be a lower ohm-age. And it
>>  >should be easy enough to add a circuit to adjust for the different
>>  >speakers.   A 6.6667ohm resistor network in parallel with the speaker
>>  >would bring your resistance down to the desired amount.
>>
>>  Please don't--you'd just be creating more heat.  Ohm's law?
>
>V=iR?  There isn't exactly any heat in that.  There is W=VA, which
>relates to heat...  Is that also part of ohm's law?

No... but its part of the same basics of electronics.

>But, if higher ohms on speakers is fine, then adding those resisters
>would definately be pointless.

more to the point it would be dangerous.  You'd be overloading your
amp and overheating resistors.

daniel
"Yay aytch lich ... trurtreen oven prerkrershetch... naw lich luleven
... naw wush thrurteen..."
--"Thirteen fucking percosets?!?! Dude the most I ever ate was like
six. Holy shit."
"Aywhirr schmall."
--"What, like 5's?"
"Mm mm mm... mebee..."