[rescue] Appropriate OS for Alpha?

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Mon Jul 22 12:08:00 CDT 2002

> And hey, at least HP-UX has some ISVs...I think Compaq just totally missed
> the boat on what it takes to support an operating system platform.  You've
> gotta get out and beat the bushes (unless you're microsoft) to keep people
> interested.  I think the traditional box-building mindset of Compaq set in -
> "We'll just build these Alphas and people will come running to use them..."
> I know for a fact that part of the reason my company dropped Alpha support
> back in '98-99 was lack of ISV support from Compaq...Rumour has it that that
> played heavily into Microsoft's dropping of WinNT Alpha...

Actually, Compaq dropped support for WNT Alpha first, so Microsoft
dropped the product as an externally-available product.  They still
continued to work on the OS internally until fairly recently as that
was their only stable 64-bit test bed for Win64.  I'm pretty sure
they are using Itanium systems now, although I wouldn't be surprised
if they were still using Alphas for development as well.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net