[rescue] Appropriate OS for Alpha?

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Mon Jul 22 11:44:21 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 06:58:18AM -0500, Eric Dittman wrote:
> > > Dave, I'd have to say that Tru64 is more probably more modern
> > > than NetBSD/Alpha, given the development history.  Also,
> > > Tru64 was the first fully 64-bit Unix.
> >
> > At least development on NetBSD/Alpha will continue. 8-)
>
> That's true.  Damn Compaq for killing the Alpha, and damn
> HP for killing Tru64.

Damn straight!

(okay, had to get in on the damning string here...)

Seriously, HP-UX isn't *that* bad, but it's definetely it's own beast.  If
they actually pull the good bits from Tru64 out and into HP-UX, you might
actually have a fairly usable Unix OS.  While I would have rather had it the
other way around, the bits they've talked about so far would definetely
improve my HPUXen experiences...

And hey, at least HP-UX has some ISVs...I think Compaq just totally missed
the boat on what it takes to support an operating system platform.  You've
gotta get out and beat the bushes (unless you're microsoft) to keep people
interested.  I think the traditional box-building mindset of Compaq set in -
"We'll just build these Alphas and people will come running to use them..."
I know for a fact that part of the reason my company dropped Alpha support
back in '98-99 was lack of ISV support from Compaq...Rumour has it that that
played heavily into Microsoft's dropping of WinNT Alpha...

Chris

Chris Petersen			  E-mail: havoc at apk.net
Systems Engineer, ExperTeam Services, EDS PLM Solutions