[rescue] misc old Sun resources

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 21 18:32:15 CDT 2002

on 7/21/02 7:07 PM, Tim H. at lists at pellucidar.net wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 18:49:14 -0400
> Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
>
>> Ahh, great bandwidth, but very high latency. ;)
>>
>> Are you in a bad area for connectivity or something, or is it just a
>> low spending priority?
>>
>> -Dave
>
> My options are dial up or satellite, and I can't bring myself to pay
> satellite prices with the lag.  I'm too far out of town for cable, and
> Verizon refuses to admit people live in our area, so they won't even
> talk about DSL in the next decade. (and to top it all off, there is a
> fiber termination half a mile from my house, I have no idea what kind of
> equipment they have there, but I'm sure they could get us DSL if they
> could be convinced it would make money)
>
> Every time a new wireless panacea gets announced I get hopeful.  I have
> even considered "roll your own" DSL to my dad's house to tap his
> roadrunner connection, but I can't afford the equipment, and I'm not
> sure how much I could expect to get out of a dry copper pair covering 15
> miles, or if the phone company would even sell me one.  There is 802.11
> wireless available on the other side of my hill, but I don't really want
> to put up a tall enough tower to see it.  I have told a couple ISPs that
> I would let them put a tower on my land, but I don't think there is
> enough visible population from my land.
>
> On the plus side, there isn't much civilization interfering with my
> view, and the air smells good, and I don't worry about traffic in front
> of my house, and salesmen never come to my house, no wait, the girl
> scouts got us this year, I was very surprised.  This time of year smells
> nice, they are haying the field next to my house.

I am in the same boat. I live on a 600 acre farm and dialup at 26,400bps. It
used to be 7,200bps, because some drunken idiot shotgun-toting slack-jawed
yokel shot the phone switch and some wires got crossed. They fixed that last
year which was nice after a year and a half of 7,200bps. I am hopeful that
one day they will upgrade the systems around here to be ISDN-capable, but I
am doubtful. They have been giving me the "6 more months" excuse for 2
years. Lousy telecom bastards....

--
Thanks,
Torquil MacCorkle, III