[rescue] misc old Sun resources

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Sun Jul 21 18:07:30 CDT 2002

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 18:49:14 -0400
Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

>   Ahh, great bandwidth, but very high latency. ;)
>
>   Are you in a bad area for connectivity or something, or is it just a
> low spending priority?
>
>      -Dave

My options are dial up or satellite, and I can't bring myself to pay
satellite prices with the lag.  I'm too far out of town for cable, and
Verizon refuses to admit people live in our area, so they won't even
talk about DSL in the next decade. (and to top it all off, there is a
fiber termination half a mile from my house, I have no idea what kind of
equipment they have there, but I'm sure they could get us DSL if they
could be convinced it would make money)

Every time a new wireless panacea gets announced I get hopeful.  I have
even considered "roll your own" DSL to my dad's house to tap his
roadrunner connection, but I can't afford the equipment, and I'm not
sure how much I could expect to get out of a dry copper pair covering 15
miles, or if the phone company would even sell me one.  There is 802.11
wireless available on the other side of my hill, but I don't really want
to put up a tall enough tower to see it.  I have told a couple ISPs that
I would let them put a tower on my land, but I don't think there is
enough visible population from my land.

On the plus side, there isn't much civilization interfering with my
view, and the air smells good, and I don't worry about traffic in front
of my house, and salesmen never come to my house, no wait, the girl
scouts got us this year, I was very surprised.  This time of year smells
nice, they are haying the field next to my house.

Tim