[rescue] IBM RS6k 7006

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at cs.helsinki.fi
Sun Jul 21 08:24:02 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 06:56:20PM +0300, Harri Haataja wrote:
> So tonight, just for the hell of it, I took a trip to a store nearby
> that buys out old things...

Thought I'd post an update :)

> It's an IBM RS/6000 7006 (badge says 410) with 4x8M and 4xsomething_else
> and a 1G drive.

4x16M it was. So I have a nice 96M in it.

I hooked it up to an ICL SCSI box with 5 1G Hawks and a CD drive. I got
media for Aix 4.2 and it's now running quite happily. I haven't
succeeded in compiling anything. Did get gcc binaries in a tarball :-P
but I'm not sure if I've found the system headers yet. ssh, sudo, lynx
etc from bullfreeware.com work fine though. And I love the volume
manager and JFS (FSVO love. Beats using HP-UX :).

Reading more of those pdf's, it seems I would really have liked to have
4.3 instead, but oh well. I'm quite happy with my investment :)

> Framebuffer has a queer connector with 3 coax "pins" in
> a d-shell. Like a 13W3 without the 13. I doubt I can get a cable. Making
> one might just be possible, though.

So I remembered that I have one loose connector around (who knows where
it came from) and I looked at the pinout and put 1,2,3 to r,g,b (Heh)
and 5 to a shell and now I have a connector I can find a cable for.
I was a bit baffled at first because I could only get green colour. Then
someone reminded me that Aix console is green :) (and such a smooth
font..) After I installed X and the stuff it looked fine. So I cut a
hole in one of the MCA cover plates and put it there.

Anyway, pictures at http://hardware.localhost.nl/ under
Workstations_Servers. Ones with the name "cassiel" on them.

--
Except that his file won't have the pretty little thumbnail that he gets
on the Mac. He'll get the dogeared-piece-of-paper icon on that file, and