[rescue] Getting SRM for Alphastation?

Linc Fessenden linc at thelinuxlink.net
Sat Jul 20 21:19:02 CDT 2002

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Mike Johnson wrote:

> I have an Alphastation 200 4/233 that has been running Linux for ages
> (somewhere around three to four years).  I've decided it's time to get
> rid of Linux and replace it with a BSD.  The problem I've run into is
> that none of them seem to work unless you have SRM.  Long ago, when I
> installed Linux on this thing for the first time, several of the
> instructions said I needed to upgrade from SRM to ARC.  Not knowing any
> different (this was my first alpha), I did as told and 'upgraded'.  It
> worked fine for Linux, so I thought nothing of it.  However, now I'm
> stuck.  I can't seem to get SRM back.  Everything I've read says to go
> through the menus to find 'Switch to OpenVMS or Digital UNIX console'
> and select 'Switch to OpenVMS' or 'Switch to Digital Unix' (depending on
> which directions I follow).  So, I do this, and reboot, but I'm still in
> ARC!  Arrgghh!
>
> Am I missing something obvious?  Is there another way to get SRM back?
> If it matters, it's 'Alpha Firmware Version 4.56'.
>
> Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
> Mike

I happen to have the same machine Mike and also have the manual for it :-)
Anyhow, the manual says you need the firmware update cd (which I dont
have).
Set the flash rom enable jumper (f6), load the update cd, and at the Apu->
prompt type update srm.  To exit the update util, power off for 20 secs..

--
-Linc Fessenden