[rescue] Getting SRM for Alphastation?

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Sat Jul 20 21:46:39 CDT 2002

I have an Alphastation 200 4/233 that has been running Linux for ages
(somewhere around three to four years).  I've decided it's time to get
rid of Linux and replace it with a BSD.  The problem I've run into is
that none of them seem to work unless you have SRM.  Long ago, when I
installed Linux on this thing for the first time, several of the
instructions said I needed to upgrade from SRM to ARC.  Not knowing any
different (this was my first alpha), I did as told and 'upgraded'.  It
worked fine for Linux, so I thought nothing of it.  However, now I'm
stuck.  I can't seem to get SRM back.  Everything I've read says to go
through the menus to find 'Switch to OpenVMS or Digital UNIX console'
and select 'Switch to OpenVMS' or 'Switch to Digital Unix' (depending on
which directions I follow).  So, I do this, and reboot, but I'm still in
ARC!  Arrgghh!

Am I missing something obvious?  Is there another way to get SRM back?
If it matters, it's 'Alpha Firmware Version 4.56'.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost