[rescue] Workers of the World, Unite!

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Fri Jul 19 18:19:30 CDT 2002

The votes are in!

>> In any case ... What the SGI equivalent of Sun's "probe-scsi-all"?

... Dave McGuire said

> Try "hinv -t" (I think).

... and George Adkins said

> hinv -t

... which was what I thought, too, so I did.  Nada.

Then Kurt Huhn said

> From my Octane - the pieces of hinv that matter:
> Integral SCSI controller 0: Version QL1040B (rev. 2), single ended
>  Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0
>  Disk drive: unit 3 on SCSI controller 0
> Integral SCSI controller 1: Version QL1040B (rev. 2), single ended
>  CDROM: unit 1 on SCSI controller 1
>
> What do you get?

More and more pissed-off the longer I fool with this thing.

However, after a long session with a pile of SCSI disks in known condition,
an external SCSI case, some SCSI cables, an extention cord, a time machine,
and a contraceptive, it seemed that either the internal SCSI bus was dead,
or my new eBay-bought sled was.

So I took the I2 apart, and found a loose SCSI cable; it had fallen off the
main board.  The cable has some trick clips to hold it on the backs of the
sled-receivers, but where it attaches to the main board, nothing.

So, anyway, that's fixed.  It now sees a drive at ID 1 on the sled in the
lower right drive bay.

Thats the good news.  The bad news is that the 4-gig drive I was going to
use in the I2 won't spin up....

So ... will a complete Irix 6.5.x installation fit on a 1993 Fujitsu 540 MB
drive?  It's a low-mileage cream-puff....

Thanks.

-Shel