[rescue] Q: Best way of going from FDDI to 100BT network?

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Fri Jul 19 15:00:21 CDT 2002

> > ALT:
> > Dual NIC _System_..  FDDI & 100TX
>
> Unless you luck out, a PCI system with NetBSD and a DEFPA and some
> 100baseTX card seems like the most affordable option.

The problem with doing it that way, is that you end up having to do
IP routing between your FDDI & Ethernet networks...you can't bridge.  All
of the 100BT/FDDI switches merely do translational bridging and IP
fragmentation between the two frame types.

I was working on IP frag support for netbsd, but I haven't been able to
make it work right...it turns IP packets into something that looks like
they've been run through a cuisinart.