[rescue] intel vs. sun- for real

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 19 12:14:04 CDT 2002

~ On July 19, Fogg, James wrote:
~ > >From a personal note:
~ > Linux is NOT comparable to Solaris, not even close. Linux
~ on Intel makes the
~ > comparison even worse. There are volumes of stuff to be
~ written as to why
~ > these things are true, but its all been said here before. I
~ speak from
~ > experience. My company runs web services that take up to 8
~ million hits/hour
~ > and we are trying very hard to switch from Solaris/Sun to
~ Linux/Intel and
~ > its not easy. Example: our Mapblast Solaris servers hum
~ along at 90% - 95%
~ > cpu at peak and work fine+fast. Our Linux/Intel farms need
~ more physical
~ > machines for the same load (2 to 1) and we have to keep cpu
~ below 50% or we
~ > get in trouble.
~
~   ...and you're trying to switch?  That seems...counterproductive.
~
~       -Dave

Hey, I don't get to drive the bus (at least not for systems). Actually,
CBA's indicate its still a good choice, but not a great one. I'm not sure
they are factoring ALL the costs, such as rackspace, either.