[rescue] Survey: what do you want in _your_ SPARC?

Katherine Strojny kstrojny at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jul 19 11:47:23 CDT 2002

Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > I'll give it a try.  It may take a month or so.  No broadband and I'm
still
> > learning this system (Axil-255).  I see sound on system board but don't
want
> > to guess that it's 16-bit.  A manual would help.  I'll dig deeper
tomorrow.

> That is a SS5 in a SS1 case?

Yes.

> SS5s usually had 16bit sound to my
> understanding, but I suppose things could be different here.

Yes, I'm learning that different is often the case, with this system.
Frinstance the memory bank layout is unique, and I recall reading somewhere
that SS5s don't require termination for internal drives but this Axil
definitely does.  (Though reading JW Birdsall's FAQ, sounds like it's not
that straightforward, and maybe it makes sense that mine requires termination
b/c the cable is unfortunately longish.)

> I don't
> really know how well it would work on such a machine.  In theory any
> SS5 would be more than enough for some meaty near-realtime audio work,
> but I'm not highly confident that it can totally pull it off.

I have doubts about the Axil's performance meeting my other requirements,
too, so I'm back to looking at U30s.  I'm willing to take a shot at compiling
audacity on the Axil, depending on how fast I move on a U30.

-k