[rescue] Survey: what do you want in _your_ SPARC?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jul 19 08:30:43 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 02:49:50AM -0400, Katherine Strojny wrote:
> Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > Do this.  If you have a sparc with solaris and 16bit sound, download
> > audacity, install the dependecies, and see if it will compile out of
> > box with GCC.  From what I can see, all you need are glib, gtk, and
> > wxwindows.  You might get lucky and have it just work.
>
> I'll give it a try.  It may take a month or so.  No broadband and I'm still
> learning this system (Axil-255).  I see sound on system board but don't want
> to guess that it's 16-bit.  A manual would help.  I'll dig deeper tomorrow.

That is a SS5 in a SS1 case?  SS5s usually had 16bit sound to my
understanding, but I suppose things could be different here.  I don't
really know how well it would work on such a machine.  In theory any
SS5 would be more than enough for some meaty near-realtime audio work,
but I'm not highly confident that it can totally pull it off.

--
Joshua D. Boyd