[rescue] I'm not an EE Q - clarification

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jul 19 09:49:09 CDT 2002

On July 19, Fogg, James wrote:
> I know some crufty old electricians who check 110/220 for liveness by
> grabbing hot and neutral in one hand and feeling for the "buzz" (if you've
> played with A/C long enough you'll know what the buzz is). Since they DID
> make it to old age I guess it doesn't kill you, but I WOULDN'T TRY THIS AT
> HOME KIDDIES!!

  That reminds me of the "good old days" in the ISP world, before we
could afford to bring them in in groups via T1s...row after row of 66
blocks on the wall.  How do you find that line you're looking for?
You could either spend an hour tracing it, or just call the number
with the ever-present test phone that's mounted on the backboard, and
lay your forearm across each 66 block in turn.

  It will also make you "wide awake" when you find it. :)

          -Dave