[rescue] I'm not an EE Q - clarification

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Fri Jul 19 08:19:38 CDT 2002

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 09:03:55 -0400
Kurt Huhn <kurt at k-huhn.com> wrote:

> That brings up the obvious next queston - how many of you test 9v
> batteries by placeing the contacts on your toungue?

I test wall warts with my tongue, up to 12 volts.  Just plug it in,
UNPLUG it, and touch the DC end to your tongue, there will be enough
juice in the capacitors to feel, so you know if the cord is bad, or if
it is completely burned out.

Let me emphasize again UNPLUG it, because some of them are not isolated,
so you have a good chance at 110V to ground at the DC end with cheap
wall warts.  110V to the tongue probably has a decent chance to not be
felt, ever again.  I'm sure un-isolated ones are a lot less common than
they used to be, but I don't make those kind of assumptions.

Tim