[rescue] I'm not an EE Q - clarification

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Jul 19 08:03:55 CDT 2002

"Fogg, James" wrote:

> ~ If you do decide to use batteries, please, for the love of $deity,
> ~ be careful. 48V worth of 33AH cells *can* kill you. 48V worth
> ~ of 7AH cells
> ~ can do it to!
>
> You ain't lived till you've "flash boiled" all your electrolyte by shorting
> flooded wet cells. I like to use fuseable link whenever possible. Autoparts
> stores carry it for high-amp charging circuits.
>
> I've also noticed that if your skin is sweaty (hence, salty) even 12V can be
> felt.

BTDT every time I work on a newer car I manage to zap myself once.  I hate to
disconnect the battery, as it resets the PCM and it has to 'learn' how to power
the vehicle again (At least on my MOPARS, YMMV). I sweat as a normal fact of
being alive.  In 50-degree overcast weather, I will sweat.  Fear me...

That brings up the obvious next queston - how many of you test 9v batteries by
placeing the contacts on your toungue?
--
Kurt                   "What me look like, ricecake monster?
kurt at k-huhn.com         Me Cookie Monster!  Me need COOKIE!" --Cookie Monster