[rescue] Survey: what do you want in _your_ SPARC?

Katherine Strojny kstrojny at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jul 18 22:41:41 CDT 2002

James Lockwood wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Amy wrote:
>
> > SoundBlaster's Live! series of cards.
>
> Ok, why?  If you just want an audio stream, go for a $20 USB card
and a
> similarly priced USB audio breakout box.  If you want features
above and
> beyond those of "vanilla" Solaris audio devices, it would be
tougher to
> implement due to the total lack of an advanced Solaris audio
framework.
> I'd rather go with a higher end card to justify the extra effort.

More serious audio cards are out of my range both price-wise and
experience-wise.  I hate to use popularity and price as a
justification, but I want to be able to put my money where my mouth
is.  Last time I checked (February), SB Live! Platinum was very
accessible, nosing under $100.  I was comparing it to Echo Mia,
which I guess would be considered another high-end amateur
or budget-professional audio card.

I wish I could speak more intelligently as to the features I would
use (besides the remote control), but that's precisely why that
card's appealing to me: it would get me in the door and give me
some options to experiment with.  Setting up a computer sound studio
was a project that I put on hold a while back b/c I got cold feet
about buying another PC.  I would not have similar qualms putting the
same money or slightly more toward a Solaris platform, if I can see
the whole picture.  Which I don't, right now, so I'm open to
suggestions.

(Point taken, about the breakout box.  I'll look into it.)

-k