[rescue] Alphaserver question (Machine died after installing FreeBSD)

Thomas Gallaway tgallaway at comcast.net
Thu Jul 18 14:33:26 CDT 2002

Hey

I just yesterday got a Lifeline Information Server (Alphaserver 275MHZ)
128mb ram. It has an DEC mainboard and a storageworks thingie. Now
what happend is I belive one of the fan's died while installing FreeBSD
and I unplugged it coz in the front the "not ok" sing went off so I shut the
machine down and unplugge the non working fan and turned the machine
back on. But now all what happens is that the keyboard light flashes and
the machine doesnt come back. So I plug the FAN back in and turn the
machine back on and the fan comes up again but the machine not.

I belive it is some Issue with the security protection of alpha's so does
anybody know more about this?

The machine has an 8bit ISA card that connects to a board on the other side
of where the mainboard is mounted at and that's where like a lot of cables go
for example all the fan's connect there and the heat sensor's.

Thanks,
            Thomas