[rescue] Sun PCi

Stephen D. B. Wolthusen stephen at wolthusen.com
Tue Jul 16 07:26:46 CDT 2002

Hi,

On 16-Jul-2002 Robert Rose wrote:
> Rescue dudes,
>
> My boss has decided to buy us all SunBlade 100's (yay!) and I can probably
> talk him into extending the budget to include Sun PCi cards to replace our
> PeeCees (mainly used for M$ orifice, bloatus notes, etc).  Does anyone have
> any experience with these cards that can say if they're worth the effort
> and money?

For my purposes (mainly looking at documents, spreadsheets other people send
me, plus project management software) this works just fine. They're no speed
demons, and anything that places emphasis on disk or video performance will not
do well, but it works for me. I put 'em in the workstations for the entire
staff.

The only minor nuisance is that the Blade 100 case is very tight for the
full-size PCI boards. On at least one board I had to use my pocket knife to
trim an edge off the Blade 100 case to get a tight fit.

Hard as it may be to believe, there *are* days when I long for QBUS systems.

The card cage engineering, not the bus system.

--

        later,
        Stephen

Stephen Wolthusen (stephen at wolthusen.com)