[rescue] Appropriate OS for Alpha?

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Sun Jul 14 22:26:19 CDT 2002

> > >   Digital Unix is solid, but it's a commercial OS...and as such, sorely
> > > lacks in features, modern-ness, and device support.
> >
> > Dave, I'd have to say that Tru64 is more probably more modern
> > than NetBSD/Alpha, given the development history.  Also,
> > Tru64 was the first fully 64-bit Unix.
> >
> > It also has features NetBSD/Alpha doesn't, like clustering and
> > AdvFS.  The device support is more limited, but if having the
> > most devices supported is your goal then you'd want to run
> > Linux/Alpha.
>
>   The idea is lots of device support with *stability*. ;)

I'd bet the stability of the supported devices with Tru64 is
better than with NetBSD/Alpha.  Besides, I've never had much
trouble with supported devices in Linux.

>   Not to mention source code, ready access to developers, and MUCH
> better support for those of us who don't pay oodles of money for a
> commercial support contract, but these things are really a different
> argument.

You're right.  For home, depending on what I needed, I'd pick
either one.

> > What features do you see NetBSD/Alpha having that Tru64 doesn't?
>
>   Support for a VERY LARGE NUMBER of devices.  I haven't run Tru64 in
> years so I don't have specific examples.

NetBSD/Alpha does support more devices than Tru64, but I wouldn't
say it supports a "VERY LARGE" number.  "LARGER", yes, but "VERY
LARGE" would be Linux/Alpha.

Besides, the *BEST* operating system for an Alpha is OpenVMS,
esp. the larger ones that can operate as a Galaxy.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net