[rescue] Appropriate OS for Alpha?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Jul 14 22:14:33 CDT 2002

On July 14, Eric Dittman wrote:
> >   Digital Unix is solid, but it's a commercial OS...and as such, sorely
> > lacks in features, modern-ness, and device support.
>
> Dave, I'd have to say that Tru64 is more probably more modern
> than NetBSD/Alpha, given the development history.  Also,
> Tru64 was the first fully 64-bit Unix.
>
> It also has features NetBSD/Alpha doesn't, like clustering and
> AdvFS.  The device support is more limited, but if having the
> most devices supported is your goal then you'd want to run
> Linux/Alpha.

  The idea is lots of device support with *stability*. ;)

  Not to mention source code, ready access to developers, and MUCH
better support for those of us who don't pay oodles of money for a
commercial support contract, but these things are really a different
argument.

> What features do you see NetBSD/Alpha having that Tru64 doesn't?

  Support for a VERY LARGE NUMBER of devices.  I haven't run Tru64 in
years so I don't have specific examples.

      -Dave