[rescue] Appropriate OS for Alpha?

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Sun Jul 14 22:02:38 CDT 2002

>   Digital Unix is solid, but it's a commercial OS...and as such, sorely
> lacks in features, modern-ness, and device support.

Dave, I'd have to say that Tru64 is more probably more modern
than NetBSD/Alpha, given the development history.  Also,
Tru64 was the first fully 64-bit Unix.

It also has features NetBSD/Alpha doesn't, like clustering and
AdvFS.  The device support is more limited, but if having the
most devices supported is your goal then you'd want to run
Linux/Alpha.

What features do you see NetBSD/Alpha having that Tru64 doesn't?

>From the benchmarks I've seen, Tru64 is also faster than
NetBSD/Alpha.  It's only $99 for the Enthusiasts program,
which gets you the latest version of Tru64 and permanent,
non-expiring licenses.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net