[rescue] GNU != Unix (was: PC v. PeeCees? (was: IBM hard disk) )

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 14 13:58:23 CDT 2002

> "Submit a patch." Thanks. I do not want to compensate the ignorance
> of some Linux weenies.

Not to try to righteously defend folks who (in many cases) could
easily write more portable code, but the answer is simple:

If you don't like the freely-available software, then either write
your own or help to fix it.

Example:  I've submitted code that ended up in Portable OpenSSH (to
scratch an itch I had) and still try to keep up with the
developers' list...and it's *amazing* how many platforms that software
now runs on.  There is *no* way that a small developer team could
support all the platforms that desire the software, if no one submitted
patches.  Most developers have trouble keeping up with more than three
or four really distinct platforms, in my experience.

You want someone who likely doesn't have access to a Tru64 box, and if
he does it likely doesn't have the commercial/unbundled CC installed,
to make changes based on some issues you've raised.  If he's willing
to include a patch from you that he likely can't test, that's probably
about as flexible as I would expect him to be.

Or am I missing something?

  --Rip (who's not a software developer, nor does he play one on TV)