[rescue] PC v. PeeCees? (was: IBM hard disk)

Michael Hansen n7pgz at eudoramail.com
Sat Jul 13 01:20:27 CDT 2002

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 23:19:20   Jonathan Eisch wrote:

>Sometimes people have to get PCs, I sell them like how I'd like to buy them,
>and support them like my own.  It's still a PC, but it doesn't need to act
>like one.
>
>-Jonathan

Well, I suppose there are PCs and PeeCees.
I do not reject the idea that the right
well-debugged PC hardware can be useful.

I still have 3 fairly reliable IA32 machines
running Solaris 2.6, which I basically use
for NFS storage and SETI at Home. I don't
keep consoles on them, for lack of proper
keyboards. The Control, Caps Lock, `/~, Esc,
and back-space keys are all in the wrong
places. I plan to replace at least two
of those machines with a drive array
as soon as I find a good deal, but for
now, they get the job done.

#####
Mike Hansen, AC7UR

"No Microsoft "software" is allowed to enter my
home. I believe in proper engineering, using
the right tool for the job, and quality software..."
-Dave McGuire