[rescue] Q: moving medium heavy things

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri Jul 12 11:32:21 CDT 2002

[ On Thursday, July 11, 2002 at 23:22:51 (-0400), Joshua D Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Q: moving medium heavy things
>
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 10:51:51PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
>
> > Um, I have one and you are welcome to move it around my colo place for me anytime :-)
> >
> > About 400 pounds I think for the HP one I have.
>
> 400 pounds is getting to be a bit much.  But I'm pretty sure that 300
> pounds for have been managable for me and a like sized man.

Three hundred pounds of rack-mount gear for two guys, into the top of a
cabinet?  I don't think so.  I don't care if you're Arnold S. or not.
You don't have three hands each.  It's damn near physically impossible
(well if the cabinet is high enough then maybe you could use your head
(i.e. underneath the box! :-)).

Even mid-mount would be "hard".  You'll need at least three guys just to
drop something like that onto rails, and if your cabinet isn't bolted to
the floor and doesn't also have front extension legs then watch out!  :-)

Putting something like that into a cabinet, or onto a relay rack,
without slider rails will require at least three guys -- four if it has
a "heavy end", and one extra to run around and put the screws in.

I've been known to be insane enough to mount 100 lb. stuff myself onto
slider rails (sun 3/280 w PS and drives and boards and fan tray removed;
also various large tape libraries, etc.), and 50-60 lb. things right
into relay racks, putting the screws in myself (eg. my DECHub 500
backplane).  However I've always come away from such jobs with pinched
fingers, cuts, scrapes, or other minor injuries.  I wouldn't recommend
anyone attempt to mount anything more than 100 lbs. with fewer than
three guys, unless you've got a means of mechanical lift that can hold
the device in position to ease it down onto its rails or to adjust and
hold it while you insert the scews.

Also, if you're anywhere near any kind of even minimal earthquake zone
you'd damn well better put such heavy stuff in the bottom of the rack.
Otherwise you'll end up spending a _lot_ on bracing to avoid tips during
even a light shaker (like the kind we can get here in Toronto).

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>