[rescue] Q: moving medium heavy things

Jay West jwest at classiccmp.org
Thu Jul 11 08:39:05 CDT 2002

Speaking of moving heavy things, but with a bent towards rackmounting....

I'm looking for a small platform lift to use when rackmounting heavy gear,
like 1/2 tape drives & such. I have found some of these in various catalogs,
but they are all extremely heavy duty units (and very pricey).

I saw several HP FE's use a very lightweight unit that they could pick up in
one hand. They set it on the floor, move a 7980S tape drive on it, turn a
crank, and it lifts the unit level anywhere you'd want in a 19" rack. Put on
the slides and slide it back and you're done.

Anyone seen one of these, or better yet, know where one is cheap? Mounting
HP  2100 cpu's by hand in a rack is a pretty straining endeavor without
one....

Jay West

---