[rescue] Grrrrrr.... (Ultra 1 FCO)

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Wed Jul 10 14:28:53 CDT 2002

<rant>

I know the FCO has been obsoleted, but I put in my cases BEFORE
they obsoleted it.  Last wednesday (which was 3 days after the
"3 to 5 business days" that was quoted to me) I called to find
out what was happening.  It seems the requests were parked
with my local service manager.  Service rep couldn't understand
why and looked into it.  Called me back saying the service mgr
was on vacation all of last week, apologized, and said I would
be called on Monday.

TODAY (2 days later) -I- called them to find out what was up.
They get the service manager on the line.  He comes on and asks
me about the FCO and all that and tells me the FCO is "only in
case of failure".  And I say "Yeah, the fans on ALL of them
failed".  He actually asks me "Really?".  No, I'm fscking making
this up, jackass.  I reply, "Yes, all of them have dead spots
in the fan.  If you push them with your finger they'll run
until the next power-down or power failure.  I'm worried about
my CPUs cooking."  Oh, he says.  Then he asks if I just got
these machines.  "Two of them," I say, "but what difference
does that make."  JA[1] says "Well, we show one of them not
having been under contract for six years."  "And?" I ask. "Well,
we're concerned about sending parts out for a machine that's
been sitting in someone's warehouse for years."

Then he says I gave them a contract number, which I did NOT.
He then says "It says you requested 5 motherboards, we only
send out fans, not whole motherboards."  I reply, "-I- didn't
request motherboards, YOU'RE rep told me that's what is done
for the FCO.  And I -know- other people who acted on this FCO
who were sent motherboards.  I don't care though."

Gah.  I then ranted to him a bit about the lack of a call
AFTER being promised action on this AND after a follow-up
call.  So, because they see one of the machines hasn't been
on contract, they just ignore me?!?  "Well, you should've
gotten a call."  Me: "Well, I didn't, and I gave my cell
number, so it's not like they missed me."

I know some people have been psyched about getting "upgraded"
because the motherboard sent out was a 170E, but both of
the Ultras I care about most already ARE 170E.  I just don't
want my spiffy ultra 1s with Creators cooking themselves
to death.

I'm definitely sending a complaint to Sun about this.  This
is bullsh*t.  No, I don't have a service contract, but if
I did, or my company did (which they do), and I called and
Sun decided I didn't, they just don't call and ignore you.
Lovely.  I love my suns, but suddenly the people pushing
for AIX boxes may not get all that much resistance from me.
And I'm going to mention that in my letter to sun.

</rant>

--Kurt

[1] That's short for jackass.