[rescue] mac model performance

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Wed Jul 10 11:16:54 CDT 2002

> > I have NetBSD running on a crippled-chip Centris 6100. Is that in the
> > category you describe above?
> >
>    I dunno about a Centris _6100_, but the Centris 610 had a 68LC040, which
> is a 68040 without the math coprocessor. That's a Nubus machine: cute case,
> but a crummy CPU, and slow bus, and 30-pin memory...but the built-in SCSI is
> always nice. There's a nice set of info about it at:
>      http://www.lowendmac.com/quadra/c610.shtml

Yes, a 610 is indeed what Ihave. That would explain why it didn't match
the machiens you were talking about. ;)  And, yes, I believe that it is
a 68LC040.

> > I do know that NetBSD's mathco emulation is weak on this box; every
> > third or fourth command dumps core. :\
> >
>    You bet: all the BSD's seem to get upset at the sawed-off LC040's. In
> fact, the web page for the 68k port of NetBSD actually says, "If you are
> willing to live with random programs dying on you due to partially broken
> support for the 68LC040, the follow machines might also be considered as
> 'supported', " and then starts its list with the Centris 610!
>     There's a quick'n'dirty upgrade of this system, however: pry out the
> 68LC040 and drop in a full 68040. I may have one left somewhere in my
> house...somewhere. :7)
> >
> > Needless to say, I don't depend on it for a lot...
> >
>    If you don't mind my asking, what _do_ you do with it?

I wanted to run some BSD on some Mac. That's what I had to start with. I
had a couple of spare 610s but not much else. I could have used an LC I
suppose, but I thought it'd be too slow. Anyway, it was an experiment.

I now have a "ci" or something like that, and I may take the drive out
of the 610 and put it in that. I was hoping that the disk that my
Mac-weenie friend gave me had A/UX on it, but it only had A/UX upgrades.
Next best thing is NetBSD I guess.

If you happened to have a real 68040, it appears that I could put it to
good use... ;)

--
Steve Sandau
IS Technician