[rescue] mac model performance

William Enestvedt Will.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Wed Jul 10 09:04:28 CDT 2002

Steve Sandau wrote:

> I have NetBSD running on a crippled-chip Centris 6100. Is that in the
> category you describe above?

   I dunno about a Centris _6100_, but the Centris 610 had a 68LC040, which
is a 68040 without the math coprocessor. That's a Nubus machine: cute case,
but a crummy CPU, and slow bus, and 30-pin memory...but the built-in SCSI is
always nice. There's a nice set of info about it at:
     http://www.lowendmac.com/quadra/c610.shtml

> I do know that NetBSD's mathco emulation is weak on this box; every
> third or fourth command dumps core. :\

   You bet: all the BSD's seem to get upset at the sawed-off LC040's. In
fact, the web page for the 68k port of NetBSD actually says, "If you are
willing to live with random programs dying on you due to partially broken
support for the 68LC040, the follow machines might also be considered as
'supported', " and then starts its list with the Centris 610!
    There's a quick'n'dirty upgrade of this system, however: pry out the
68LC040 and drop in a full 68040. I may have one left somewhere in my
house...somewhere. :7)

> Needless to say, I don't depend on it for a lot...

   If you don't mind my asking, what _do_ you do with it?
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator