[rescue] Re: Of mice and men

roosmcd at dds.nl roosmcd at dds.nl
Wed Jul 10 06:21:07 CDT 2002

 Follow-up on my message:

  Two better pictures:

 http://www.spotlife.com/users2/sciencelink/oct17_computermuseum/image027.htm

 http://www.spotlife.com/users2/sciencelink/oct17_computermuseum/image019.htm

  From classiccmp mailing list:

 "I have some details on it from the Whitechapel technical manual. It was
first made in early 1982 (so not quite 20 years old) by a Swiss company

There are 2 versions of this mouse. The D83/P has quadrature outputs,
like I was discussing here the other day. It's like an ST/Amiga/Mac+
mouse, or a PC bus mouse. It's not a PC serial mouse or PS/2 mouse

The pinout of the connector (assuming standard wiring) is :
1 +5V
2 Y2 ) Y quadrature signals
3 Y1 )
4 X2   ) X quadrature signals
5 X1   )
6 Ground
7 Middle button
8 Right button
9 Left button.

The D83/H has a serial interface, but it's nothing like a PC serial port.
For one thing it's at TTL levels, and for another thing, it's a
synchronous interface. The 7 signals (4 quadrature signals, 3 buttons)
are loaded into a 4021 shift register in the mouse and shifted out
serialy. The 5 connections to the mouse are +5V, Ground, Shift clock,
Load Shift Register, and Data Output. I am not sure what the conventional
pinout of this is, because Whitechapel never used this version.

The D83/H would seem to use  a special mouse port and I've never seen a
machine that uses it.".

"And a good source of quadrature-serial converter chips (if you don't want
to program a PIC to do it yourself -- heck, there's even a Microchip
application note containing example code for this ) is, of course, normal
PC serial mice. Get a cheap-n-nasty mouse, pull it to bits, extract the
chip (there's likely to only be one chip in such a mouse) and trace out
enough of the schematic to be able to use it. You can, of course, get the
support components, like the right frequency ceramic resonator, from the
mouse as well."

 My mouse is the /P version. I've got some scrap-mice, so am probably going to
build a convertor this week :).

   greetings,
     Michiel